These are my notes from a Christmas message…”The Birth of Grace”
Matthew 1:23 (msg)
…She will bring a son to birth, and when she does, you, Joseph, will name him Jesus – ‘God saves’ – because he will save his people from their sins.” This would bring the prophet’s embryonic sermon to full term: Watch for this, a virgin will get pregnant and bear a son; they will name him Immanuel (Hebrew for God is with us)
The idea of the son of God being born to be the Savior of mankind, also included him being mankind’s sacrifice. Giving us salvation through grace. Unearned, undeserved, unmerited Favor of God.
Meaning when Jesus was born, Grace entered the earth. Mankind would never be the same again.
Several ways we see grace given in the birth of Jesus.
1. We see grace being prophesied through his family tree.
• There were only four women mentioned in his family tree. Only Four, and all four had particular stories of redemption and Grace.
o Matthew 1:3 Tamar
• Geneses 38: Tamar’s story is one of vindication, one of justice, wrong things being made right. Redemption. One of her sons name was perez (break forth) and the other zerah (Scarlet, as in the color, crimson)
o Matthew 1:5 Rahab
• Joshua 2: Rahab was a harlot but had heard the stories of Gods people and believed, so she hid the spies and she and her family were saved, redeemed. The spies said, your lives for our lives. Just hang this “scarlet” Thread out the window, and bring all your family in, and you will be saved.
o Matthew 1:5 Ruth
• Ruth: The entire story of Ruth is about redemption. About her Kinsmen redeemer who purchased her and gave her offspring an inheritance. Her son was David’s Grandfather. Jesus became our kinsman redeemer.
o Matthew 1:6 Bathsheba (wife of Uriah)
• We know the story of Bathsheba and how her life was marred by adultery but in her and David’s repentance they were redeemed and she became the mother and teacher to the wisest man on the earth.
2. We see Grace In Joseph’s handling of the entire situation.
• Joseph before he knew it was God, did not want to shame or embarrass Mary, he extended grace to her. He walked in grace throughout the birth of Jesus and the upbringing of Jesus. The amplified said he handled Jesus tenderly.
3. We see Grace in His Name
• Jesus (Joshua) Savior
• Immanuel, Hebrew for God is with us
4. We see Grace in the Conception of Mary.
• Luke 1:46-55 Although Mary was a virgin She was a human and not perfect but God gave her grace and allowed her to be the carrier of the great gift to mankind.
5. We see Grace in the Angels declaration of the birth of Jesus
• For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a savior who is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto, you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. Glory to God in the highest, peace on earth, good will towards men.
6. We find Grace in The baby.
• The Fact the king of Kings came in the form of a baby, implies an act of Grace. He didn’t come to overthrow us but to be one of us, and be here for us, and to love us. In spite of our failings and his perfections. In spite of our weakness and his strengths. That is called Grace. Thank God for the birth of Grace.
When Jesus Was born, it was the birth of Grace, the completion of the law, and Now, though man couldn’t live up to the law, He has the opportunity to believe in Jesus, and His gift of Grace. The law did its job in showing us we can never meet its standard, so Jesus Came and in His grace he met the standard for us. Now all we need do, is believe.
Take this, study it for yourselves.
God bless you.